Let’s start with the obvious. We all experience turbulence. There is no perfect day unless you are on drugs! However, the core issue is not the detour, obstacle, or problem. It’s what we do with them.
So often a problem comes in the form of
- An overwhelming pressure
- A major setback
- A bad decisions
- A negative medical report
- A divorce
- A job loss
- Alienation from family members
- An accident
How do we develop the resilience to not just survive, but to thrive in these situations? How do we gain the hope and help to keep going forward toward a meaningful “second act.”
This is what I know. Sooner or later we all hit the skids. We all fall into the pressure cooker. At some point we all wind up with our backs against the wall. So what can you do?
Here are 8 guides that will help you thrive during turbulent times.
- Refuse to Die! When you’re down some people will write you off. Refuse to be labeled. Losses may deepen you, but they don’t define you. They are a part of your maturity, but they are not your identity.
Refuse to fade into a life of perpetual inconsequence.
You matter greatly! And, yes, we need you.
- Manage your Fears! Everybody has fears. Manage your fears by doing something about them. Identify them. Write them down. Knowing them well is integral to managing them. Which fears are real threats?
- Move towards them.
- Identify them.
- Deal with them.
- Dismiss the rest.
- Get Motivated! Pain, failure, loss, and embarrassment are great motivators. Embrace the pain and you will internalize the lesson.
Walk toward the barking dog.